Healthier Orange Chicken – Stop calling for takeout or going to the mall food court and make this HEALTHIER orange chicken at home in less than 10 minutes!! EASY, authentic, and so INCREDIBLE that you’ll never miss the fat and calories!!
How To Make Healthier Orange Chicken
If I’m walking by the food court in the mall and if I can snag a free sample of Panda Express orange chicken, I do a little happy dance inside. But I don’t order it because I know it’s greasy and loaded with calories and fat that I don’t need.
Enter this homemade, healthier, not fried version of orange chicken that’s made in one skillet and ready in 10 minutes. No fuss, hassle-free, and perfect for busy weeknights.
The chicken is ridiculously tender, juicy, and full of orange flavor. When I say ridiculously tender, I mean it just melts in your mouth. You’d swear it was fried but it’s not.
To a large skillet, add freshly squeezed orange juice, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, olive oil, and boneless skinless chicken breast pieces that have been dredged in cornstarch. It’s the secret ingredient.
Cook until the chicken is done, less than 10 minutes, and dig in to this better-than-takeout copycat orange chicken alongside your favorite rice. My Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice is the perfect accompaniment.
Tips For Cooking With Cornstarch
Cornstarch thickens any liquids or sauces it comes into contact with. In this recipe it helps the orange juice-based sauce tighten up and cling to the chicken as if the chicken had been fried and then coated in an sugar-laded orange sauce, but we’re not frying anything today.
Cornstarch is a kitchen magician in many regards, but there are some pitfalls. If you’re not careful you can have a gloppy mess in a hurry.
My tips for avoiding that include:
- Cook over medium heat
- Flip the chicken and stir the pan sauce that coats the chicken nearly constantly
- If at any time your sauce is tightening and thickening up faster than you’d like because the chicken isn’t quite cooked through, simply add more orange juice
- 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large oranges, juiced; plus more orange juice if necessary
- 1/3 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon green onions, diced into thin rounds
- To a large bowl or ziptop plastic bag, add the chicken, cornstarch, and toss or shake the bag to coat the chicken evenly; set aside.
- To a large skillet, add the oils, orange juice, soy sauce, honey, add the chicken pieces but not any excess cornstarch that's at the bottom of your bowl or bag, turn the heat to medium, and cook until chicken is done and cooked through; flip chicken and stir pan sauce that's forming nearly constantly. Tip – If at any time your sauce is tightening or thickening up too much before the chicken has cooked through, simply add additional orange juice to thin it and keep stirring.
- Evenly garnish with green onions and serve immediately. Extra chicken will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 451 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 96mg Sodium: 1012mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 24g Protein: 38g
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken – The easiest orange chicken ever because your slow cooker does all the work!! Super juicy, tender, and coated with a sweet-yet-tangy orange glaze that’s irresistible!!
15-Minute Orange Chili Chicken and Broccoli – The orange chili sauce is spicy, tangy, and sweet all in one!! The PERFECT sauce to jazz up chicken and broccoli! A FAST and EASY dinner with great Asian FLAVOR!!
Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken — This sweet and sour chicken recipe takes just 15 minutes to make and tastes way better than takeout. Perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Sheet Pan Ginger Orange Chicken and Vegetables – Fast, EASY, HEALTHY, and loaded with great orange ginger flavor!! A DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Mandarin Chicken Stir Fry — An EASY Asian stir fry with tender chicken, juicy oranges, and veggies!! Skip takeout and make this ONE skillet recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights!!
The post Healthier Orange Chicken appeared first on Averie Cooks.
Original source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/LoveVeggiesAndYoga/~3/2s_ksZkZ2To/