This Skillet Pizza is made supreme style, topped with a colorful mix of pepperoni, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and olives. The pizza dough is cooked in a hot cast-iron skillet to ensure a crispy crust. Grab a hot slice of cheesy homemade pie, it will disappear fast!
This easy skillet pizza will be your new favorite dinner time staple. The flavor rivals frozen versions, and you don’t have to worry about it arriving cold when you call for delivery. The best part is the toppings are cooks choice, but why not load it up with a variety of meat and vegetables for the ultimate slice. Looking for more tasty one-pan recipes? Then try Shrimp and Asparagus Skillet, Pan-Seared Scallops, or Sweet and Sour Shrimp.
When a steamy hot pizza leaves the oven and hits the table, it’s something that is hard for most to resist. It’s worth the burning of fingertips for chewy and crispbread smothered in tomato sauce, melty cheese, and little bite sides toppings.
This recipe is a little different in that instead of using a pizza stone, an extremely hot cast iron pan is the vessel to deliver a delicious pie. It’s an easy method that once you practice a few times, will be your go-to whenever the craving hits.
How to make Skillet Pizza
- Preheat the cast iron pan in a 475-degree oven.
- Roll out the pizza dough to 12-inches in size.
- Oil the pan with olive oil and then add in the pizza dough.
- Brush the edge of the dough with olive oil and then bake for 3 minutes.
- Add the pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, olives, Italian seasonings, and black pepper.
- Bake until the pizza crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, 10 to 12 minutes.
Type of pizza dough
This recipe uses fresh store-bought pizza dough for a convenient and quick dinner. It’s brought to room temperature for 30 minutes before using so that it’s easier to work with. Roll it out on a floured surface so that it’s large enough to fit snugly in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet.
Homemade pizza dough or frozen can also be used. Make sure to keep an eye on the cooking time, especially if the crust is thin, you may also be able to skip the par-bake step.
Make a cast iron pizza
A large cast-iron skillet is used because it holds heat incredibly well. The result is a super crispy crust and perfectly cooked toppings. I use a parbaking technique for a few minutes, similar to when I make a grilled pizza.
This step pre-cooks the dough before the wet ingredients are added to ensure the dough is cooked through. Once the toppings are added on, it’s just about 10 additional minutes until a freshly baked pizza is ready to enjoy!
What toppings do you add for a supreme pizza?
It’s all about adding anything your heart desires! Use a premade pizza or tomato sauce, or make your own homemade marinara sauce. Shredded mozzarella cheese goes on next, followed by pepperoni. I like the smaller size so the flavor doesn’t overpower the other toppings and doesn’t get too greasy.
Often times crumbled sausage is also added if you want extra meat. Freshly sliced bell peppers, red onions, mushrooms, and olives add a nice colorful mix. If you are feeling a simpler pie, this Margherita pizza with tomatoes and fresh basil is a family favorite.
Looking for more skillet recipes? Try these ones!
- Easiest Homemade Pizza
- Taco Pizza
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza
This Skillet Pizza is made supreme style, topped with a colorful mix of pepperoni, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and olives.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more for brushing)
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 small pepperoni slices
- ½ cup thinly sliced bell pepper (red and green)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
- ½ cup sliced white mushrooms
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- Black pepper (as needed for seasoning)
- If using store-bought pizza dough, allow to sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Place oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 475ºF (246ºC).
- Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to heat.
- Lightly flour a work surface, the dough, and rolling pin. Roll the dough out into a 12-inch circle.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and place on a heat-safe surface.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and use a paper towel to evenly spread into the pan.
- Carefully add the pizza dough to the skillet, spreading the edges into the corners of the pan.
- Lightly brush olive oil on the edges of the crust.
- Bake the pizza dough for 3 minutes to par-bake the crust.
- Remove the pizza dough from the oven and evenly spread the pizza sauce over dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce.
- Add the pepperoni, bell pepper, red onions, mushrooms, and olives on top.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasonings and black pepper on top.
- Bake the pizza until the bottom is golden brown and crispy, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Slice the pizza and enjoy hot.
Original source: https://therecipecritic.com/skillet-pizza/