My Orange Cake is perfect for a summer picnic! Enjoy!
350g ground almonds
300g caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
400ml sunflower oil
2 oranges (ideally Seville oranges)
2 tsp dried lavender
For the syrup:
100g golden caster sugar
1 pinch of cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C or Gas mark 4.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground almonds, caster sugar and baking powder and mix well. Break in the eggs and add the oil, mixing gently.
3. Using a grater, grate the zest from the lemon and 2 oranges into the mixture (from step 2) and mix to incorporate.
4. Turn the cake mixture into a greased 20cm cake tin (make sure the base of the tin is lined with baking parchment!) and bake for 40 minutes to an hour.
1. To make the syrup, squeeze the juice from the zested lemon and the oranges and place into a saucepan.
2. Add the golden caster sugar, cloves and cinnamon, mix and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Once your cake is baked, pierce several times with a skewer (or a small knife) and spoon the syrup over the cake, allowing the cake to soak up all the flavour!