Servings: 8 Muffins*
Total Carbs: 9.8g/muffin (not including frosting)
Net Carbs: 5.3g/muffin (not including frosting)
*In video I made 6 large muffins, changing the total carb amount to 13g/muffin and net carb amount to 7g/muffin.
Recipe is from The Complete Low Carb Cookbook — if you don’t have this one you should (link below).
Oil for cupcake pan
5 large eggs
1/2 C sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 C water
2 tsp of red food coloring
2 1/2C almond or hazelnut flour
3/4 C Swerve (or low carb sweetner of your choice)
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 – 1/2 batch of buttercream cheese frosting (link below)
6-8 raspberries or small strawberries for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil your muffin tin or line with paper liners. If you make 8 muffins in a 12 muffin tin pan, 4 holes will be empty.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add in your wet ingredients (sour cream, vanilla extract, water and food coloring) and mix until well combined. You want to make sure most lumps from sour cream are gone. (In the video I added 1 tsp but it needed at least 1-2 tsp more for the red color I really wanted.)
3. In another bowl, add and combine all of the dry ingredients (nut flour, sweetener, cocoa and baking powder.
4. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat to combine.
5. Pour the batter into the greased or paper lined muffin cups. If making 8, fill until 2/3 full. If making 6, fill cups about 3/4 full.
6. Place in oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
7. Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan and topping with frosting and raspberries.
Recipe for buttercream cheese frosting: https://youtu.be/e-YGhYLzPgc
6 or 12 cup muffin tin: http://amzn.to/2l7wnPK
Batter bowl: http://amzn.to/2lbQ7Bv
The Complete Low Carb Cookbook: http://amzn.to/2kZWl5o
Visit my blog: http://dot2trot.com
Essential Tools That I Use In My Kitchen:
Dot’s Low Carb Kitchen Essentials
The book that helped me lose 145 pounds (and saved my life):
“Why We Get Fat,” by Gary Taubes — http://amzn.to/2cco9DK