Sprouted Kala Chana Amti, A Maharatshtrian style delicacy without the coconut for weight watchers.
Recipe Link : http://www.tarladalal.com/Sprouted-Kala-Chana-Ambti-3576r
Subscribe : http://goo.gl/omhUio
Tarla Dalal App: http://www.tarladalal.com/free-recipe-app.aspx
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TarlaDalalsKitchen/featured
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/107883620848727803776
Sprouted Kala Chana Amti
Like Sambhar is to Tamil Nadu, Amti is to Maharashtra. Amti is a flavourful dal preparation that is frequently prepared in Maharashtrian households. It is a versatile dish with many variants, and this particular one is a Sprouted Kala Chana Amti. It is rich in fibre and protein due to the use of kala chana, which is sprouted to ease digestion and improve the nutritional profile. When cooked with a masala paste of onions and dry spices, the Amti becomes quite irresistible, making it a perfect choice for weight watchers who like to enjoy tasty and spicy food.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 21 minutes.
1 ½ cups sprouted kala chana (brown chick peas), refer handy tip
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarson)
⅛ tsp asafoetida (hing)
7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
¼ cup finely chopped onions
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
½ tsp chilli powder
For the onion paste
½ cup roughly chopped onions
4 cloves (laung / lavang)
1 cardamom (elaichi)
2 small sticks cinnamon (dalchini)
1 star anise (chakriphool)
6 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
2 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp caraway seeds (shahjeera)
7 to 8 cloves garlic (lehsun)
3 dry red Kashmiri chillies, broken into pieces
For the garnish
2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
For the onion paste
1. Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the onions turn light brown in colour. Keep aside to cool slightly.
2. Blend the mixture in a mixer to a smooth paste using 2 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Combine the sprouts, 1½ cups of water and salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape befoe opening the lid.
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
4. When the seeds crackle, add the asafetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
5. Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for another 30 seconds.
6. Add the turmeric powder and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
7. Add the onion paste and sauté on a medium flame again for 1 minute.
8. Add the kala chana (along with water in which they were cooked) and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasaionally.
Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Handy tip: For 1½ cups of sprouted kala chana, soak ¾ cup of raw kala chana in enough water in a bowl overnight, drain them and keep aside to sprout for 12 to 15 hours.
Nutritive values per serving
Energy : 56 kcal
Protein : 2.4 gm
Fat: 1.9 gm
Fibre: 1.3 gm