Learn how to make Sambar – South Indian Lentil and Vegetable Curry – Vegetarian Recipe By Ruchi Bharani
In this episode, Chef Ruchi Bharani, makes simple to cook and quick to serve popular south Indian Recipe – Sambar. Sambar goes well with most of the South Indian Breakfast and main course dishes like Idli, Vada and Dosa. It is also a traditional accompaniment in a complete south indian meal to steamed rice.
Sambar is a vegetable stew / soup made with tamarind and toor dal. Its a very Important and popular food of southern regions of India especially in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. Each state in the South prepares it with a typical variation, adapted to its taste and environment.
1 cup split yellow Pigeon Peas ( Tur Daal )
1 Onion cut lengthwise
2 Tomatoes chopped
1 cup Bottle Gourd ( Lauki ) chopped
1 Drumstick chopped into 3 inches pieces and slit
2 tbsp Oil
1 & 1/2 tbsp tamarind juice
1 tsp White Lentil (Urad Dal)
2 tbsp Sambar Masala
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
Few Curry Leaves
4 Red Round Chillies ( Boriya Chillies)
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
Jaggery ( Gur )
– Soak the tur daal for 1/2hr, add 2 cups of water & pressure cook it
– Add oil to the heated pan and add mustard leaves, boriya chillies.
– Once the mustard seeds starts sparkling, add white white lentils and cook till its golden brown
– Add the curry leaves, onions and cook them well without making it brown.
– Add bottle gourd, drumsticks and saute it for few mins.
– Add tomatoes and salt and let it cook for few minutes by putting the lid on the pan.
– Meanwhile churn the tur daal to a smmoth paste.
– Add sambhar masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder to the vegetables and mix everything well.
– Add the churned daal, stir and mix everything well again.
– Add enough water, tamaring juice, coriander leaves, salt and a cube of jaggery and cook it for another 15 – 20mins in low flame and its ready to served.
Share on Facebook – http://goo.gl/KIZHAA
Tweet about this – http://goo.gl/bEjKEH
Subscribe & Stay Tuned – http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c…
For more videos log onto http://www.youtube.com/rajshrifood
Find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/rajshrifood
Follow us on Pinterest at http://www.pinterest.com/rajshrifood
Follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/rajshrifood
Find us on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+rajshrifood